Detail zur Stellenanzeige:
Data management specialist
The University of Basel is the oldest university in Switzerland, with about 13’000 students and 4’300 researchers in 7 faculties covering a wide spectrum of disciplines from humanities to natural sciences.
sciCORE is the center for scientific computing at the University of Basel, which supports scientists on matters of data management, analysis and storage by providing efficient high-performance computing as well as consulting and training. Our computing environment consists of a Linux cluster with ~8000 cores (including GPUs) and ~5 PB storage. sciCORE is also a node in a national infrastructure network coordinated by the SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics. This network supports biomedical research activities, including the Swiss Personalized Health Network (SPHN), and poses strict requirements with respect to data protection, security and access control.
For research transparency and reproducibility, funding agencies now require researchers to share their data and the processes they took to collect the data if they want to continue to receive funding. This necessitates support in planning, doing, and finishing data-intensive research. We are therefore looking for an experienced Data Management Specialist, who will work closely with researchers and IT experts translating practical data management challenges into creative and robust solutions.
The position is available immediately. The contract will initially be limited to a period of three years with the possibility of an extension.
- Be the point of contact in sciCORE in matters of data management
- Provide data management support training for researchers
- Provide consulting and/or implement data models using the tools we offer as a service (LabKey, SQL databases, etc.)
- Develop training material and teach practical data management
- Collaborate with sciCORE scientific IT specialists to develop or adapt data management solutions
- Represent sciCORE in collaborative projects involving data management
- Acquire and maintain know-how in advanced data management techniques, including semantic technologies and graph databases
- At least 3 years of experience in academic research environment
- Degree in Data Sciences or equivalent
- Proven experience of work with server-based data management system (relational databases, LIMS)
- Demonstrated service orientation skills
- Ability to communicate in English (working language; oral and written)
- A PhD in life sciences or computational sciences
- Hands-on experience with additional database technologies (NoSQL, graph databases)
- Experience working with semantic technologies (ontologies, SPARQL/RDF)
- Teaching at post-graduate level
- Experience in the domain of life sciences or biomedical research
We offer you
We offer a key position in a highly interdisciplinary and inspiring academic work environment. You will work with domain-specialists and advance your skills in data management technologies and cutting-edge scientific computing.